Be able to explain the following biological structures or processes in your own words:
- The three general stages involved in cellular signaling.
- Protein kinase
- protein phosphatase
- I will describe the events in the cell cycle and how these events are controlled.
- I will be able to explain how DNA is transmitted to the next generation via mitosis.
- I will be able to explain how DNA is transmitted to the next generation vis meiosis followed by fertilization.
- I will understand how meiosis and crossing over leads to increased genetic diversity, which is necessary for evolution.
- Begin investigation 7: Mitosis and Meiosis
- Background (investigate 1st three links at the bottom of this blog)
- The Investigations (pg 86) answer questions 1-8.
- Part I: Modeling Mitosis (pg 87) answer all questions.
- Part II: Effects of Environment on Mitosis- not yet, stay tuned......
- Part 3: Loss of Cell Cycle Control in Cancer: (pg 90) - review from part 1 and prelab questions for part 3
- Case 1:HeLa cells, using on-line resources answer the 10 questions posed for this section.
The resource below provides excellent pictures and videos to acquaint students with mitosis and meiosis. In addition, there is a link to a survey from the American Academy of Dermatology about sun exposure and skin cancer.
Both of these websites have good cell cycle animations. The NIH resource, Cell
Biology and Cancer, has a section on cancer, the cell cycle, tumor suppressor genes,