LO 2.7 Students will be able to explain how cell size and shape affect the overall rate of nutrient intake and the rate of waste elimination. [See SP 6.2]
LO 2.6 The student is able to use calculated surface area-to-volume ratios to predict which cell(s) might eliminate wastes or procure nutrients faster by diffusion. [See SP 2.2]
- I will investigate the relationship among surface area, volume, and the rate of diffusion.
- I will design experiments to measure the rate of osmosis in a model system.
- I will analyze the data collected in the experiments and make predictions about molecular movement through cellular membranes.
- I will work collaboratively to design experiments and analyze results.
- I will connect the concepts of diffusion and osmosis to the cell structure and function.
- Go over experimental design for Procedures 1&2
- Perform investigations
- Analyze class data, write up results, conclusion and discussion for the two investigations.
- Answer bullet questions for each section
- Chapter 8 Review
- Friday- Quiz on Ch 6- cell structure and function./Review Ch7 --cell membrane structure.