- To learn how a respirometer system can be used to measure respiration rates in plant. seeds or small invertebrates, such as insects or mealworms
• To connect and apply concepts, including the relationship between cell structure and function (mitochondria); strategies for capture, storage, and use of free energy; diffusion of gases across cell membranes.
Chapter 10 Review due Friday
Chapters 11 due Friday: 12-6
Case study due; turn in BOP -will be returned during class w/key- highlight incorrect answers, correct in different colored ink and turn back in on Friday.
Changes In the Air- article- write a complete summary and be ready to discuss on 12/3.
Overview of fermentation/anaerobic respiration
Formative assessment of cellular respiration - use Expressions
Cellular respiration investigation
What factors affect the rate of cellular respiration in multicellular organisms?
- background information/learning objectives
- getting started questions
- procedure/go over design and data collection
Group designed investigation on cellular respiration
-class generate list of questions that might be investigated
-work in investigation groups to decide on an investigation question and experimental design.
-let Mr. R know what materials you will need for tomorrow
- Ch.10 Review turned in
- Corrected case study turned in
- run experiment on the effects of temperature on respiration rate-
- complete Analyzing Results questions 1-4 (pg 80)
- answer design questions for step 1 (pg 81)
- run group designed investigation after PLF is stamped off.
- each person answer Analyzing Results 1-2 (part 3 hold off until you get this information from the group presentations) pg. 82
- each person answer Evaluating Results questions 1-3 pg. 82
Communicating results: each group (4-5 members will produce a poster that includes the following elements) :
- Methods and materials
- Results (include at least 1 graph and use several descriptive statistics to describe data: mean, average, std error, average slope, R-value- regression, etc.)
- Conclusion and discussion
- Literature cited/credits
- Due date:Thursday December 5th- BOP- presentations given by each group
- classroom open on Tuesday next week 0-1st period/Mr. R will be available for any questions
- PLF's and questions for lab packet due Dec. 3rd BOP (15 points)
Total points (Lab category) = 80
70 points from peer evaluations (averaged score)
0-10 points per person determined by group member evaluations (including itemized list of who did what and what the % of total work was done by each member).
Information on making an investigation poster
Preparing for December 3rd meeting-
-focus on photosynthesis-
-go over reading
-go over lecture PowerPoint -posted on Today's blog to help you review and formulate questions
-Google Doc spreadsheet link posted- identify what you know about the process of photosynthesis- be specific and 3 or more questions or areas you would like me to go over in class- 10 point assignment due by Friday - Nov. 29th link provided below:
Assessments; Chapters 8-10 Tuesday December 10 (MC/FRQ/Oral quiz- photosynthesis light reaction model)