Part I: Creating an Excel Model, we will continue to manipute the spreadsheet to set up a multiple generation model!!!
* Open the file to your single generation H-W table.
* Build a multiple (>3) generation model with a beginning and ending generation bar graph showing allele frequency change between generations 1 and the final generation.
* After exploring the population model you have created, write a 1/2 page reflection in your own words explaining what you have discovered about inheritance patterns and population genetics.
Answer the following questions about your model:
* Why are the following functions significant to this population genetics model? Rand (page S31) / IF (page S32) / CONCATENATE (page S33)
***** Try out different starting p & q allele frequencies in the model (intermediate values vs. extreme values). Look for and describe the patterns that you find as you try out the different allele frequencies. (page S37)
****** Do alleles behave the same way no matter what the population size is? (page S37)
******Change the population size by adding or deleting rows of data compared to the first sheet. How much does the initial p value vary from the final p value? How does that compare to the original population?
****** How do allele frequencies change in multiple generations (page S37)?
Try adding additional generations to your model. Use the p & q values from one generation to "seed" the next.
Part II: Using a Computer Simulation to Explore Factors Effecting Population Genetics (to be completed by Tuesday 4/16)- please e-mail Mr. Rapin your Excel graph and turn in your reflection questions on 4/16.
This simulation will help you explore the following question: What factors can cause allele frequencies to change in a population?
Choose one of your answers to test on various populations in the web-based population genetics model located at:
Population Genetics Simulation Program:
Population Genetics Simulation Program Instructions: http://www.radford.edu/~rsheehy/Gen_flash/popgen/Popgen_help/help.html
In your own words, write a 1/2 page reflection on this simulation in which you:
· Develop a hypothesis/prediction (If.... then....)
· Collect Data (it might be useful to include a printout of BEFORE vs. AFTER screenshot results with your submission)
*record the conclusions you can draw from your model.
At the end of this section provide a summary that explains how math and computers provide tools such as this one can help to explore the complexity of biology and biological systems — provide deeper insights and understanding about what makes living systems work.