Lab Investigation 11
"What Factors, including environmental variables, affect the rate of transpiration in plants?"
page 135- Background:
Getting started: Questions 1-4
Procedure-page 138 steps 1-2- complete all elements a-h and a-l
Designing and Conducting your investigation(page 140)
step 1/2: check off PLF
Go over your responses to Getting started questions 1 -4 (page 137/138) Procedure- steps 1 & 2
Set up investigation for entire class- volunteers to facilitate?
Data collection? Units?
Leaf mass method- see
- cut a 1cm2 section of the leaf
- mass the 1cm2 section
- multiply the section's mass by 10,000 to calculatethe mass per square meter of the leaf (g/mL2)
- divide the total mass of the leaves by the mass per square meter (above). This value is the leaf surface area.
Lab procedure considerations-
- standardizing measurements
- calculation of transpiration rates?
Finish (due 20 minutes before end of period) Analyzing Results - elements 1- 7(page 143-144) and Evaluating Results- elements 1-3 page 144. HW: where can you go from here?- Elements 1-3.
Answer 2 long FRQ's on transpiration (allocate about 20 minutes) - be ready to have scored on Thursday BOP.