more favorable phenotypes are more likely to survive and produce more offspring, thus passing traits to subsequent generations.
b. Evolutionary fitness is measured by reproductive success.
c. Genetic variation and mutation play roles in natural selection. A diverse gene pool is important for the survival of a species in a changing environment.
d. Environments can be more or less stable or fluctuating, and this affects evolutionary rate and direction; different genetic variations can be selected in each generation.
e. An adaptation is a genetic variation that is favored by selection and is manifested as a trait that provides an advantage to an organism in a particular environment.
f. In addition to natural selection, chance and random events can influence the evolutionary process, especially for small populations.
- AP Score equivalence sheet- class average.
- Turn in graded Donor's dilemma case study. Collect key.
- Go over Tree Thinking case study.- Due Feb 24th.
- Go over final exam Grid-in questions. group presentations
- Read over Transformation Lab to discuss tomorrow- hope to do lab on Tuesday:)
- Presentations on pathogenic viruses/bacteria and prions.
- Watch HHMI video on Evolving bodies, evolving switches- short quiz (10 pts- assignment category) on content- Due Fri BOP.